Big size shoes and designer shoes are two phrases that at first glance might seem worlds apart for many women with bigger feet. However, you can find celebrity shoes in larger sizes if you know where to look and understand the sizing.
Our quick guide gives the skinny on how to build your own Sarah Jessica Parker style shoe collection. Lesson One. You’re going to need a bigger shoe closet (and a rock star bank balance).
Caveat: This information is based solely on experience, a quick email (Yes, very scientific research) sent to a bunch of shoe-savvy girlfriends who wear big size shoes. We therefore cannot in any way claim to be precise or guarantee the sizing.
Why buy designer shoes anyway?
While some women with big feet may balk at at the cost of designer shoes. There are those who swear by them. The top reasons given to justify the splurges apart from the obvious “…because I’m worth it!” include:
“….The fit is often better, they are more comfortable and I can wear them for hours”
“….The quality of the materials used are better and the shoes seem to last longer”
“….The designs are imaginative and more drool-worthy and the aesthetic sexier than average”
“….For the sheer joy of having something special to show off on my big feet!” (So true!)
Large Size Designer Shoes – How large is large exactly?
1. Many designers use European shoe sizes i.e. size 40, size 41, size 42, size 43, size 44 etc.
2. Sizing can be erratic across all designers and even sometimes within each individual designer’s shoe collections, depending on the shape of the shoe. Don’t ask us why.
3. Shoes from US designers often seem to fit truer to size (maybe because they are closer to US standard sizing).
4. Shoes from European designers (French and Italian) often tend to run smaller and narrower
5. Almost every mainstream couture designer makes women’s shoes up to size 10
6. Many mainstream couture designers make up to size 11 shoes for women
7. A surprising number of mainstream shoe designers make size 12 women’s shoes
8. There are few of mainstream designers that make size 13 women’s shoes but for size 13, 14, 15 and size 16 shoes, it’s best to look to niche larger shoe designers like our house favorites Gwyneth and Kathryn Kerrigan who have produced runway worthy beauties up to size 16.
Best Big Shoe Shopping Tips
- Call the retailer and get confirmation of your size in the shoe you want.
- Read the reviews for the shoes you want. They’re there to help you!
- Large size designer shoes sell fast. Your best bet is to search for them online at the start of every new season or pre-order them from the designer or retailer.
- A true fashion insider tip is that some designers will custom make a shoe for you up to a size larger than the standard sizes they offer retail. Obviously this option is not for the faint-hearted (or faint-of-wallet)!
A (very) Rough Guide to European Sizing for Designer Shoes in Larger Sizes
Women’s Size 40 = Size 10 shoes for women
Women’s Size 41 = size 11 shoes for women
Women’s Size 42 = size 12 shoes for women
Women’s Size 43 = size 13 shoes for women
Women’s Size 44 = size 14 shoes for women
These are guidelines only! As you can see above, shoe sizing can be totally inconsistent so double check for your correct size.
THE LARGE SIZE DESIGNER SHOE LIST
Where can I buy large size designer shoes up to size 13 women’s shoes?
Jimmy Choo shoes up to women’s size 13
Hooray for Jimmy Choo! We love you Mr. Choo! We also love that your shoes seem to run typically to size.
Where can I buy large size designer shoes up to size 12 women’s shoes?
Christian Louboutin shoes up to women’s size 12
Yes, you can get those famous red lacquer soles up to women’s size 12. However Louboutin shoes can sometimes run a touch small and work better on narrower feet.
Brian Atwood shoes up to women’s size 12
The current king of celebrity shoes in Hollywood and model shoes on every international runway. Brian Atwood shoes typically run ½ a size small so it’s recommended to order up.
Dolce & Gabbana shoes up to women’s size 12
Dolce & Gabbana shoes typically runs true to size and up to ½ size small depending on the style.
Fendi shoes up to women’s size 12
Fendi shoes typically runs true to size depending on the style of the shoe.
Gucci shoes up to women’s size 12
Gucci shoes generally run true to size or sometimes up to ½ size smaller depending on the style. Flats seem to run true to size more often than not.
Giuseppe Zanotti shoes up to women’s size 12
Giuseppe Zanotti shoes run from true to size to a ½ size small depending on the style of the shoe.
Manolo Blahnik shoes up to women’s size 12
Manolo’s (SJP favorites) generally fit from true to size to a ½ size small depending on the style, and seem to be better for narrower feet.
Marc Jacobs shoes up to women’s size 12
Marc Jacobs shoes generally run true to size or sometimes up to ½ a size larger in the larger sizes.
Pedro Garcia shoes up to women’s size 12
Pedro Garcia shoes typically run a ½ size small.
Prada shoes up to women’s size 12
Prada shoes generally run run true to size.
Miu Miu shoes up to women’s size 12
Miu Miu tends to run true to size except for pointy toed shoes which can be ½ size too small. Also better for narrower feet.
Yves Saint Laurent shoes up to women’s size 12
Yves Saint Laurent appears generally to be closer to US sizing and truer to size.
Lanvin shoes up to women’s size 12
Lanvin shoes tend to fit true to size with the exception of their ballerinas which the designer says may run ½ a size small.
Loeffler Randall shoes up to women’s size 12
Loeffler Randall shoes typically runs true to size or sometimes ½ size bigger. Found them to be generous on sizing.
Chloe shoes up to women’s size 12
Chloe shoes can vary in size either way up to 1/2 size large or small.
Stuart Weitzman shoes up to women’s size 12
Stuart Weitzman shoes typically run true to size.
Charlotte Olympia shoes up to women’s size 12
Charlotte Olympia shoes tend to run about ½ a size small so order up.
Where can I buy large size designer shoes up to size 11 women’s shoes?
Alexander McQueen shoes up to women’s size 11
Alexander McQueen shoes typically run true to size or up to 1/2 size small especially in the pointy toed styles.
Versace shoes up to women’s size 11
Versace shoes typically run true to size.
Valentino shoes up to women’s size 11
Valentino shoes generally run a little small so it’s best to order up ½ a size.
Sergio Rossi shoes up to women’s size 11
Sergio Rossi shoes tend to fit true to size.
Robert Clergie shoes up to women’s size 11
Robert Clergie shoes tend to fit true to size.
So where should you start?
zappos.com, Amazon (formerly Endless.com), and Nordstrom are your best bet because of free shipping and free returns. You can try them on for fit and easily return them, if they don’t fit perfectly. These shoes are way too expensive to be less than fabulous!
Now all you need is your very own red carpet! Happy shopping!
Have you found any other designers of gorgeous shoes in larger sizes that we should know about?
Please let us know and we’ll continue to grow the list to make it even better for more women with big feet.